D 5505 Worth the swap to Duratherm glow plugs?

Diskutiere Worth the swap to Duratherm glow plugs? im Forum D05-Serie im Bereich Deutz / Deutz-Fahr Schlepper - Sorry to be posting so many questions, these have been kicking around my head for awhile before I joined! My D5505 with F4L 812 has one failed...
evranch_canada

evranch_canada

Sorry to be posting so many questions, these have been kicking around my head for awhile before I joined!

My D5505 with F4L 812 has one failed glow plug, resulting in lots of white smoke from that cylinder on cold starts. As you would expect most starts here are cold! It can take 5 minutes to stop blowing white smoke if it's below 0c. Not good if the tractor is parked in the shop... The plug is open circuit, and you can feel that cylinder head heats up much slower once the motor has started.

I saw another post where Bosch 0250200055 was recommended as stock, and Bosch 0250201044 (Duratherm) as the upgrade. So I could change out the single plug, or I could install 4 of the Duratherm.

On other indirect injection tractors I've replaced low performance, series wired glows with 11v Duratherm plugs, letting me get rid of the "glühüberwacher" (we long ago took to the word as they don't really have an English name aside from "resistor" :D) and cutting glow times from multiple minutes to 10-30 seconds.

However the D5505 already only requires about 30 seconds of glow to start even when it's freezing out. Glühüberwacher has already been bypassed as it was burned out. Much colder than that, I just use one of my liquid cooled tractors with block heater. Is there much point in swapping them all out for the Duratherm plugs?

Kai6.05

Kai6.05

Hi unknown user,

in my opinion there is no point in swapping them to Duratherm plugs. The 055 ones are allready fast glowing plugs and faster than the original 020 ones. One thing to do, if you have to change one, change them all, since the tips can break and damage the piston and cilinder head.

Greetings from Germany
Kai

Deutz45nullfuenf

Deutz45nullfuenf

Hi,

i cannot give any advice regarding the plugs but what migth help with a cold start is to start glowing again right after the engine started.
"Nachglühen", means "afterglowing" really helps the motor in the first maybe 30s after the start and my 4005 runs much smoother then.

evranch_canada

evranch_canada

Threadstarter
Thanks, looks like I could use either one then. In fact on further reading, the 055 appears to be classed as a "Duratherm" plug as well, just not actively advertised as such. I'll just call my parts supplier and see which ones are available here, if it's not critical.

Good point on replacing them all. I once had to remove an entire head on another tractor because a loop style glow plug burned off and fell into the cylinder. I have always trusted the pencil type a lot more, but really, I would be foolish to not just change them all considering the minimal cost.

Unfortunately in this case after-glow doesn't do anything for the main smoke producer, the one head with a dead glow plug that is not even firing! And the smoke clouds can be so thick, I don't want to be on the seat breathing them, so I just leave it alone for a few minutes to warm up. Once I change the glows, I'll definitely make use of it as I did find it helps quite a bit.

Haha, "unknown user", yes I've noticed this forum is quite friendly and most people sign their posts with their real name, I might as well do so as well! It's not common in English parts of the internet anymore but I like it. Reminds me of friendlier times. And maybe I missed if there is a place to introduce yourself properly as a new user?

Thanks for your help,
Alex

Kai6.05

Kai6.05

Hi Alex,

inside the 2nd cilinder head of my D40.1S I had an glow plug with an broken tip. Fortunately it did not made much damage, since it must have been small parts that cane loose.

You may introduce yourself and your tractor in a new topic inside the "Vorstellung" area: https://www.deutzforum.de/forums/vorstellung.49/
We always like to see Deutz tractors from around the world.

Greetings, Kai

Deutz45nullfuenf

Deutz45nullfuenf

Unfortunately in this case after-glow doesn't do anything for the main smoke producer, the one head with a dead glow plug that is not even firing!
Hi Alex, of course. If the plug is dead this does not help. But try after the repair! It helps during the first seconds after start.

It's not common in English parts of the internet anymore but I like it.
This is the old school friendly part of the internet... ;)
Here, the people are still able to write a complete sentence, say hello and good bye and even use capitalisation.
I like that, too :thumbsup:

evranch_canada

evranch_canada

Threadstarter
Thanks guys! I read this forum with auto-translate turned on, and the word "Vorstellung" in isolation becomes "Performance" so I didn't expect that was the place for introductions. When I see "Performance" in a motor context, I think of power tuning. "Leistung" I guess!

I'll dig up some tractor photos and make a post there. My D5505 mentioned here was bought earlier this year in fairly sad condition, and then used for field work immediately despite losing oil from many points, but it might be worth taking a picture of now. I spent hours pressure washing decades of grease from those leaks over the last couple days, and you can almost see the tractor itself now! Unfortunately I found one axle seal is totally gone, so transmission oil gets out right away. Project for the winter.

Alex

F

FahrM66Tfan

Good evening,

Seems you have to spend some houres on the tractor. But i think it will be worth it. Once it is done and the tractor is running fine the houres working on it will be forgotton and without oil leaks driving the tractor will make for fun.:)

So good luck and have a nice wintertime in the workshop.;)

Friedrich

S

swd40

Hi,

'Vorstellung' is like 'introducing yourself' in english.

So yes, introduce your tractor. :)

Regards,

Josef

Thema: Worth the swap to Duratherm glow plugs?