Cylinder head sealing

Diskutiere Cylinder head sealing im Forum Motor im Bereich Allgemeine technische Fragen - Hello from Australia, We have recently purchased a Deutz 7206 that has been badly looked after. I am restoring this to be a working tractor for...
F

Farmsyncro

Hello from Australia,

We have recently purchased a Deutz 7206 that has been badly looked after. I am restoring this to be a working tractor for our farm.

The engine had 2 leaking cylinder head gaskets - leaking combustion pressure- and I have removed the cylinder heads to replace the gaskets. When I inspect the sealing surface I believe it will be hard for this to seal properly.
I have lapped (ground) the head to the barrel with grinding paste to make a good flat surface.

On other engines I have repaired the head gasket is always a compressing copper composite that will deform and make very good contact with the barrel and the cylinder head.

Can I expect this simple flat steel gasket to seal well?
Is the cylinder head gasket a weak point on these engines?
Can I use a thin copper wire between the gasket and the cylinder head to make a good seal?

Fun fact: It has been over 40 degrees on some days when I try to work on the tractor. I cannot wait for winter.

Kai6.05

Kai6.05

Hello Farm Syncro,

this is not a head gasket, it is somehow a shim to adjust the piston to cylinderhead distance.
It is no weak point, if the head and cylinder are totally flat.
I would not recommend copper, because it can get into the combustion chamber and could damage the piston.

Kind regards

Kai Heetjans

KurtD30S

KurtD30S

On other engines I have repaired the head gasket is always a compressing copper composite that will deform and make very good contact with the barrel and the cylinder head.

Can I expect this simple flat steel gasket to seal well?
Hello Jason,

I agree with you regarding the gasket material of other engines.

Yes you can expect this simple flat steel shim to seal well. Usually the sealing area of the cylinder head is machined with a turning lathe.

The engine which I made one or two years ago of the same type as yours (see your thread "hydraulics and transmission") is still running well without leaking.

I also can also underline Kai's statement, cylinder head gasket is not a weak point of this type of Deutz engines.

Best Regards,
Kurt

F

Farmsyncro

Threadstarter
Hello,

Kai6.05,

I believe the "plate" between the cylinder head and the cylinder barrel IS a sealing "gasket". The shim (or spacer or washer) parts that I purchased for correct spacing of piston to cylinder head are designed for the base of the barrel.
I suspect that these cylinder head gaskets are coated with a coarse material (diamond or other grit) to grip into the surfaces and make good contact.

Anyway, I shall soon find out. I expect to have it running in a couple of days.

Kai6.05

Kai6.05

Hello,

thanks for the excerpt of the motor handbook, Martin.

If the head shim seems to have a coarse grit on it, than it is definately defect and should be exchanged. Maybe the blow by did destroy the shims. Is the seat on the motor block/ cranckshaft housing still ok? My Dx6.05 had its 4. cilinder loose and did damage the seat.

Kind regards,

Kai Heetjans

F

Farmsyncro

Threadstarter
Thanks for the information everybody.

Kai,
the head gasket is new with this coarse finish. The old ones were a bit stained and damaged. I learnt never re use a cylinder head gasket but this was with conventional compressing gaskets.

Thema: Cylinder head sealing